40 Mechanic Street, South Portland Maine
Turners Island LLC
Turners Island


Historical Photo 1600's - Turners Island was named after Ralph Turner. He was a resident of the Barberry creek area, and used the island to graze his cattle.

1659 - Turners was officially settled.

1847 - Turners was established as a rail link and rail yard to the city of Portland, Maine.

1848 - Alford Butler buys Turners Island for $600.00, and starts the Cornelius Brothers Shipyard.

1925 - The Secretary of War orders that Turners be transformed to be able to handle inbound freight.

1997 - Roger Hale bought Turners Island from the Springfield Terminal Company and rebuilt it to its present condition so that it could continue to handle freight and function as a shipyard.

Web Hosting Provided by Maine Hosting Solutions